Positioning of Skylights Relative to the Sun is a Vital Aspect of Any Installation
There is a high degree of consensus that natural light entering through the windows of a home can have an uplifting effect on the disposition/mood of family members who reside within. The act of opening drapes or blinds not only brightens a room, it can also admit passive solar heat and somehow give the illusion that the room is larger as well.
In the most basic context, this is the principle of skylight installation, which is essentially the insertion of a window or windows into the roof of a home. However, the benefits of skylights can extend beyond the enrichment of one’s health and well-being; some of the additional value that homeowners can gain by installing one or more skylights includes:
- Energy efficiency, and hence reduction of utility costs
- Aesthetics – curb appeal; accentuating a room or hallway
- Improved ventilation/air flow (skylights that can be opened)
- Comfort and warmth – generated by soothing, defuse sunlight
- Opportunity to appreciate the beauty of night skies while indoors
- Better penetration of unobstructed natural light vs vertical windows
To appreciate these benefits to their fullest, correct methods of installation are required. This includes the appropriate care and attention to prevent water or air leaks (which can be accomplished by contracting the professional skylight installation services of Absolute Roof Solutions) as well as the placement or positioning of the skylights to maximize their overall energy efficiency and effectiveness.
To the latter point, should skylight installation be under consideration, homeowners may wish to note the following with respect to the orientation of their roof relative to the sun:
- North-facing slope
- May only get appreciable sunlight in late spring/early summer
- Good site to allow consistent yet cool daylight to enter a home
- East-facing slope
- Maximum amount of light and solar heat occurs in the morning
- South-facing slope
- Excellent for passive solar heat gain during the winter months
- Also generates significant heat gain in summer (unless shaded)
- West-facing slope
- Gives afternoon light; can create large amount of unwanted heat
While some roof facings may seem to be more viable options than others at first glance, there are some variables in terms of skylight features and accessories that homeowners might consider which can make installations feasible on any side of a roof; these include:
- Energy efficiency ratings
- Ultraviolet coating options
- Ventilation (for heat release)
- Remote-controlled shades/blinds
Consulting with the experts from Absolute Roof Solutions can provide valuable insight on the specific choice/type of skylights that may be best suited to a particular home and to the needs and preferences of the homeowner and their family.
A Comprehensive Range of Skylight Services Including Installation and Repair
For all of the benefits offered by skylights, including natural light penetration, ventilation, and aesthetic appeal, they can also be a major source of roof leaks. The most common reasons why skylights will leak consist of the following:
- Inferior installation
- Ineffective flashing
- Insufficient caulking
- Incorrect choice of skylights
- Incompatibility with roof pitch
When there are signs of a leak or water penetration in a roof with skylights, homeowners would be well within their rights, so to speak, to suspect these features as a likely cause. An inspection by Absolute Roof Solutions can confirm any such suspicions and isolate the source of the leak, which in turn can determine the appropriate means of skylight repair to remedy the situation.
Absolute Roof Solutions offers a complete range of skylight-related services, including:
- Skylight Repairs
- New Installations
Visit our Skylight Services page for more information on the expert skylight installation and repair services offered by Absolute Roof Solutions.
For expert Skylight Installation or Repair Services in Vancouver and the surrounding area, call the specialists at Absolute Roof Solutions today at 604-263-0334 or contact us at your earliest convenience for a no-obligation quote.