Water damage is one of the most common and annoying issues faced by homeowners. Water collecting in low-traffic areas that are out of sight, such as the attic, can cause damage since its presence may not be immediately obvious. If left to linger, however, it can cause serious damage behind-the-scenes, leading to expensive roof repairs. Proper attic ventilation can reduce the risk of excess moisture building up and is an important component of roof maintenance.
All About Attic Ventilation
The best way to tackle proper attic ventilation is to hire experts. Absolute Roof Solutions provides residential and commercial roofing inspections in North Vancouver to ensure your roof and ventilation systems are up to code and working properly. Understand the basics before you call:
- What is attic ventilation? – Attic ventilation is a system of intake and exhaust that allows air to flow through the space and limits the amount of moisture. The most effective ventilation is under the roof assembly, and will offer benefits year-round.
- Why is attic ventilation important? – Ventilation will create a cooler attic space in the summer and a drier space in the winter. This will also reduce your energy consumption and HVAC costs, and protect your home from structural and water damage.
- What happens to an attic that has no ventilation in the summer? – Improper ventilation can lead to major issues and expensive repairs. In the summertime, a poorly or non-ventilated attic space can get extremely hot. When combined with moisture, this heat can cause major damage to shingles, causing them to buckle and deteriorate.
- What are the risks in the winter? – During the winter, warm air from the home often finds its way into the attic and can lead to condensation in the cold attic space. Buckling shingles may appear, rotting of the roof deck, and possibly insulation damage that leads to mold and mildew.
- What are the options for ventilation? – Installing intake and exhaust vents that are suited to your building and climate will limit the risk of temperature and moisture issues. Soffit vents are most common and are effective for intake. They are installed without anything blocking or insulating their interior in order for air to move freely. Rest assured that they are designed to keep insects and other pests out of your home or commercial property too. Exhaust vents allow air to leave the attic space and are installed at high points on the roof, typically on a high ridge. Combining lower soffit intake vents with higher ridge exhaust vents creates good ventilation.
Unsure if your attic has proper ventilation? If you notice a buildup of moisture, high expenses to cool your home in the summer, or accelerated roof deterioration, make a roof consulting appointment with Absolute Roof Solutions. Preventative roof maintenance can save you a lot of money in the future. Schedule your roof inspection to protect your business or home and address any damage before it causes bigger problems!
Improper attic ventilation can lead to roof deterioration, rust, and even deadly mold. Don’t take any chances! Contact the experts at Absolute Roof Solutions. Call (604) 263-0334 for attic ventilation services.