Yeah, we've been hit with some snow. We'll see how long it lasts.
But you should know there are a number of real advantages for homeowners to repair and re-roof their homes during the winter months.
Yes, the weather is more likely to be bad. Yes, it is colder.
But here is the thing - these exact points are real advantages.
1. Roofing companies are slower during the winter as most homeowners wait for the spring and summer to consider getting their roofs fixed or re-roofed.
Therefore, in order to encourage sales now, companies are more flexible with their pricing and prices in the winter can be 5 to 10% lower. Companies may also have other deals to encourage a homeowner to do it now.
That's a real advantage.
2. Because companies are slower, it is also easier to get your re-roof scheduled when it is convenient for you.
In the summer, the heavy volume of work may make it difficult to get your roof done when you want it done.
But in the winter, this is not a problem.
It also means you will get more personalized attention.
3. If your roof is currently leaking and ultimately needs to be replaced, you can save further money by replacing it now in the winter.
There is no point paying someone to do a repair, then have it ripped up in the spring or summer when you replace the roof.
The prudent thing is just doing the whole job now and save on the cost of the repair.
4. Any type of residential roof can be done during the winter.
Because the days are shorter and the weather can be more inclement, the job might take three or four days compared to two in the summer. But professional roofing companies have lots of experience in making sure your roof is secure and water-tight during the process, so there is no real downside to the extra time that might be needed.
Large commercial flat roofs are the only roofs we advise not to replace during the winter months. This is because the large surface area is difficult to secure over the time that might be needed to do the job.
5. Even if you decide not to do the roof in the winter, arranging it now to get it done in the spring can save you money.
You can probably get a better price and also get it scheduled when you want. Leaving it to the spring or summer means you will be struggling in the busy season to get it all arranged.
There is no advantage to that.